Comprehensive Live Online CBT Training for Therapists
This comprehensive 13-week (includes a mandatory intro meeting) CBT course uses a combination of live group didactic sessions together with practice and role play, with emphasis on skill building of therapy tools and techniques for better CBT.
Michael Christensen, MACP, RCC
LJ Davis, MA, LPC, CPCS
13 Tuesdays Starts Jan 9, 2024 | 8am-10am Pacific Time (11am-1pm Eastern Time)
Offers 26 CE hours*
Provides 26 TEAM-CBT Units towards Level 1, 2 or 3 Certification
Therapist level: beginner through advanced
Recommended Pre-requisite: "Core Skills for Effective Therapy" course by Jill Levitt Ph.D.
Need-based scholarships available. Email email@example.com to apply
This comprehensive 13 week (includes a mandatory intro TEAM CBT meeting) CBT course uses a combination of live group didactic sessions together with practice and role play, with emphasis on skill building of therapy tools and techniques for better CBT.
Attendance at all 13 sessions and completion of CE survey after this course is required to receive CE certificate of completion.
Cost: $720 (Please note: The price doesn't include required purchase of David Burns' ebook - Tools, Not Schools, of Therapy. You will receive 25% off of $159, using the student discount available under the Description section here: https://feelinggood.com/product/tools-not-schools-of-therapy/)
Completion of this course provides units towards Level 1, 2, or 3 TEAM-CBT certification. Note, there are additional requirements for Level 2 and 3 CBT Certification which can be found on the Certification Requirements Table.
This course is designed to help you:
1. Collect and review patients’ self-report data in order to improve therapy outcomes and strengthen the therapeutic alliance
2. Utilize advanced empathy skills to connect with more challenging patients doing CBT.
3. Apply “the five secrets of effective communication” with your patients to improve your therapeutic alliance and improve CBT outcomes.
4. Describe “the five steps of agenda setting” to address and decrease resistance in CBT
5. Demonstrate the “Invitation” step
6. Use the “Specificity” step to keep therapy on track
7. Recognize several different common forms of resistance
8. Describe the magic button and magic dial techniques to reduce resistance and boost motivation
9. Use Daily Mood Logs effectively
10. Apply the Blame Cost/Benefit Analysis for use with relationship problems
11. Identify “tempting thoughts” and positive distortions in the treatment of habits and addictions
12. Utilize the recovery circle in selecting appropriate methods
13. Describe relapse prevention to prepare client for managing relapse
14. Apply the "Externalization of Voices Technique" to challenge negative thoughts and generate positive counter thoughts
15. Apply the “Double Standard technique” to generate positive thoughts that will counter a negative thought
16. Conceptualize the problem into one of four main areas (mood, relationship, habit/addiction, non-problem) to assist in dealing with resistance and guide method selection
17. Apply the “Examine the Evidence technique” to assist in generating positive/ more realistic thoughts
18. Apply dangling the carrot, sitting with open hands, and the gentle ultimatum to address process resistance.
19. Describe the difference between outcome resistance and process resistance.
20. Demonstrate the Devil’s Advocate technique for use with habits and addictions
21. Use the “Thinking in shades of grey” technique to combat all or nothing thinking.
22. Describe the survey technique.
23. Apply the positive reframe table to address outcome resistance
24. Demonstrate the use of the habit /addiction log to capture tempting thoughts.
25. Utilize the “Double Paradox table to address motivation with habits and addictions.
26. Describe the value and purpose of “testing” in therapy.
FGI stands against discrimination. We believe in acceptance, inclusion, and equality. Discrimination against people based on identify status (e.g., race, ethnicity, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ability status, country of origin, religion) is harmful and not tolerated. We understand the need for formative feedback and learning, thus we will make every effort to invite community members to humbly learn and grow when missteps occur. Hate speech, discriminatory practices, or harmful interventions (defined by clinician’s governing board) may result in removal from this training opportunity. This includes public statements or behaviors made outside of the trainings. I/we maintain the right to deny or revoke access to this training space if safety of the community cannot be maintained because of a person causing harm to others. In the case that this policy is invoked, we will follow guidelines to offer a learning opportunity and then determine whether safety of the community can be maintained or if the person will be removed from the training space. Guidelines include steps such as talking with the person, providing opportunities to learn (e.g., addressing the harm, renouncing a problematic statement or behavior), and consulting with other trainers.
Continuing Education Accreditation
*The Feeling Good Institute (FGI) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Feeling Good Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Feeling Good Institute Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0175. This course has been approved by FGI as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for 26 CEs. NAADAC Provider #149212. The Feeling Good Institute (FGI) has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6750. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. FGI is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. Feeling Good Institute, #1442, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 05/30/2021-05/30/2024. Social workers completing this course receive 26 continuing education credits. Feeling Good Institute, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0678. A certificate of attendance will be emailed to attendees who attend 100% of the training within a week of completion of the workshop survey. Individuals with disabilities requiring special accommodations please contact Dr. Maor Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mike Christensen is a Registered Clinical Counsellor in private practice in Terrace BC Canada. A former national level athlete he completed his Youth & Counselling Theology undergraduate degree in 1995 followed by a 10 year career in business ownership. Introduced to Dr. David Burns’ work in 2006 Mike returned to school completing an MA in Counselling Psychology. Mike specializes in treating anxiety and depression using the TEAM CBT model. He teaches online groups for Feeling Good Institute, and assists Dr. Burns when he conducts workshops in Canada.
LJ is a Licensed Professional Counselor in the US state of Georgia. He has been assisting in leading TEAM-CBT training groups since 2019, and working directly with the Feeling Good Institute since 2020. He has assisted in trainings with David Burns, Jill Levitt and Mike Christensen. He is a Level 4 TEAM-CBT Trainer, and is available for consultation or 1:1 training.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
Refunds are available for cancelations outside of a 14-day window prior to the beginning of a training event or course. All refunds are subject to a $50 processing fee. Within a 14-day window prior to the beginning of a training event or course, no refunds are available. For cancelations within this window, credit may be applied towards a future similar training within a year of the original purchase date.